Commercial Construction

Kett Pointe CornerCommercial projects are defined as any project occurring on property other than residential property. Apartment projects with four or more units are considered commercial projects. Commercial projects requiring permits include certificates of occupancy (for all new tenants), interior remodeling, additions, new buildings, any site work and temporary uses. It is highly recommended to verify the applicable zoning regulations in the early stages of project planning.  Please contact the Zoning Administrator or the Chief Building Official for more information by calling our office at 937-296-2441.

Applicable codes:

The Ohio Building Code and related codes are based on the International Codes. It is available for purchase from the International Code Council at Commercial projects (everything except one-, two- & three- family dwellings) are regulated by the following codes:
Kettering Zoning Code
Ohio Building Code
Ohio Mechanical Code
Ohio Plumbing Code
International Gas Code
International Energy Conservation Code
NFPA 70 – National Electrical Code
NFPA 13 – National Sprinkler Code
NFPA 72 – National Fire Alarm Code
Ohio Fire Code
Some of these codes are available on the Codes, Studies and References page and on the State of Ohio’s Ohio Board of Building Standards page.  Contact the Kettering Fire Marshall at 937-296-3384 for more information about current Fire Codes.

Food Service

If you are planning to begin construction of a new food service operation (restaurant), retail food establishment (grocery), or transient accommodation (motel), you must submit plans for the work to be completed to the Montgomery County Combined Health District. Plans are also required when planning any substantial alteration to any of the those types of  facilities.  For more information please contact their offices at 937-225-6150.

Who should make the application?

The owner or the owner’s authorized agent (i.e., contractor or architect).

Who can a permit be issued to?

To the property owner or his authorized agent. Both parties bear responsibility. Note: Sub-trades are regulated by the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board and fire protection system installers are regulated by the Ohio Fire Marshal. Plumbers must also be registered by the City of Kettering.

When is a permit required?

When the owner/agent wants to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, change the occupancy of a building or structure, or portion thereof
When the owner/agent wants to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical gas, mechanical, plumbing system, other building service equipment, or piping system.
For details see Do I Need a Permit?

Tent Permits

Tent Quick Reference Guide
Apply online through ACCESS KETTERING.
Tents 20′ X 20′ or smaller do NOT require a permit.

Can demolition or construction begin without a permit?

NO! Work that does not require a permit or emergency repairs may proceed. Work conducted without a required permit is subject to a Stop Work Order, Notice of Violation or Adjudication Order requiring removal of the work and/or other penalties prescribed by law.
City of Kettering Permit Forms and Fees
Close window