After the issue to allow medical marijuana passed in Ohio, Kettering City Council considered if and how establishments would be permitted here in Kettering. Ultimately a temporary moratorium was passed to allow time to wait for the release of state regulations before a final decision on medical marijuana in our community.
The temporary moratorium expires this May, so in the coming weeks City Council will once again be making a decision about if and how to permit medical marijuana facilities to operate in Kettering.
City Council will consider three possible courses of action:
- City Council takes no action, thus allowing the temporary moratorium to expire in May. State of Ohio regulations would take effect June 1 permitting medical marijuana operations in Kettering.
The following documents provide details on each of these options as well as information regarding:
- State of Ohio regulations
- Map of currently approved medical marijuana facilities in our area
- Federal government's position on medical marijuana
- Summary of medical marijuana regulations adopted for nearby communities
- Maps of where medical marijuana facilities could be permitted in Kettering under state regulations
- Map of where medical marijuana facilities could be permitted in Kettering under potential Kettering specific regulations should a stricter 1,000 foot buffer be adopted
- Staff recommendation
The city staff team who has researched the issue will give a presentation on April 24 during the regularly scheduled Kettering City Council meeting which takes place at 7:30 in the City Council chambers in the Kettering Government Center at 3600 Shroyer Road.
This is an important issue and the decision we make now has the potential to impact our community well in to the future. As with all City Council meetings, the public will have a chance to speak during the meeting on April 24.
Please email KetteringCityManager@ketteringoh.org with questions or comments.