Doing Business with the City of Kettering
The City of Kettering welcomes the interest and bids of all vendors. We take very seriously the responsibility to our tax-paying citizens to obtain goods and services of the highest quality at the lowest price.
We hope this information will acquaint you with the City’s various needs as well as how the Purchasing Division functions. We look forward to working with you to better serve the needs of our community.
What the City Buys
• Goods and equipment – including vehicles, office equipment and safety supplies.
• General services – including equipment maintenance
• Construction services – including labor and material for construction, reconstruction and maintenance of public improvements.
• Professional services – including legal, design, architectural and consulting.
How the City Buys
The City of Kettering has a centralized Purchasing Division. City departments/divisions submit their requests and following legal requirements, Purchasing decides the appropriate source-selection method.
These methods include:
• Telephone bid/informal contract – Requires competitive pricing, which may be solicited over the telephone from prospective vendors. The prices are evaluated and a purchase order may be issued to the vendor submitting the lowest and best price.
• Informal bids – Requests for quotation or proposal, which include the appropriate specifications, are sent to vendors. Responses must be submitted in writing.
• Formal or sealed bids – Invitations to bid and specifications are sent to prospective bidders. The City also gives public notice of the bid via advertising in a local newspaper prior to the bid-opening date. All formal bids must be submitted in a sealed envelope by the date and time specified to the Finance Department, Purchasing Division, City of Kettering, 3600 Shroyer Road, Kettering, OH 45429. Offers by telephone, email or fax will not be accepted. All formal bids are opened publicly and read aloud at the time and place specified in the bid documents. Bids received after the specified date and time cannot be considered.
Although bid results are not given over the phone, they may be requested by contacting the Purchasing Division.
Both informal and formal bids are awarded based on the lowest bid meeting the city’s specifications and requirements.
How can I be placed on the City’s bidders’ list?
The Purchasing Division maintains a bidders’ list by product category. If you would like to be placed on this list, please complete our on-line vendor registration form.
Terms: Unless otherwise stated, FOB Kettering.
Tax exemption: Purchases by the City of Kettering are sales-tax exempt. A blanket exemption certificate is available upon request.