Building & Zoning

BlueprintOne-stop Shopping

Kettering’s Planning and Development Department provides “one-stop shopping” for all building- and zoning-related projects. Before starting your design, we recommend you first start with a review of the zoning rules for your project then review the detailed building code requirements. Unless the Planning Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals is required, all construction projects automatically undergo simultaneous building and zoning review and only require a single application with the appropriate design documents.

Additional permits, usually secured by subcontractors, may also be required for items such as signage, mechanical, gas, electrical, plumbing or fire protection systems.

BuildingWhich Projects Require a Permit?

Any project that requires inspection for compliance with a zoning or building code requires a permit.  Also consult our Do I Need a Permit page?

How Do I Get a Permit?

It’s easy. Just fill out the correct application form and submit it to the Department of Planning and Development along with any required drawings. Simple permits for those such as for a water heater or furnace replacement do not require any drawings. Applications and drawings are reviewed for completeness and conformance with codes. Applicants will be notified if any revisions are required.  More detailed information is available on the How do I get a Permit page.

Our offices are located at the Kettering Government Center, 3600 Shroyer Road., Kettering, Ohio.  Office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.  To reach us by phone, call 937-296-2441.

For detailed information about your project go to:
Residential Construction
Commercial Construction
Related Construction
Permit Forms and Fees

City of Oakwood Residents

The City of Kettering serves as the building department for the City of Oakwood. All residential and commercial permit applications for interior remodeling, additions and new buildings are processed through the City of Oakwood. Minor permits for plumbing, electrical, mechanical and fire protection systems may be applied for directly at City of Kettering Department of Planning and Development. Please note that any project affecting the exterior of a property (i.e., air conditioning condenser units) requires prior approval by the City of Oakwood. For more information, go to or City of Oakwood, 30 Park Avenue, Dayton, OH 45419, Ph: 937-297-2920.

Preview site