Civil Division FAQs

Civil Division Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Question: Can I call the Law Department for legal advice?
Answer: No. The Law Department only provides legal advice to City of Kettering and employees in matters relating to their official duties. You should contact a private attorney for personal legal advice.

Question: I have a problem with my Landlord/Tenant. Who can help me?
Answer: Miami Valley Fair Housing can help with Landlord/Tenant matters relating to discrimination. Their number is 937-223-6035. For all other Landlord/Tenant matters, the Montgomery County Ombudsman’s Office, in association with the Legal Aid Society, the Greater Dayton Apartment Association and Miami Valley Fair Housing Center, provides an overview of the Ohio Landlord-Tenant Act of 1974 on its website at This is an excellent resource for Landlords and Tenants. The phone number for the Ombudsman’s Office is 937-223-4613 or 1-800-395-8267.

Question: I would like to buy my child a motorized scooter. Can the scooter be ridden on the sidewalk or street?
Answer: Neither one. Motorized scooters are not permitted on the street due to not being a licensable vehicle and not allowed on the sidewalk due to being a pedestrian hazard.

Question: Does the law in Kettering require a helmet to be worn when riding a bicycle or roller blades?
Answer: Yes. No person under 16 years of age shall operate or ride on roller blades or shall operate a bicycle, or ride as a passenger on a bicycle equipped with a passenger seat, upon a street or sidewalk within the City unless such person is wearing a protective helmet on his or her head, with the chin strap fastened under the chin.

Question: Do I have to shovel the sidewalk in front of my house in the Winter?
Answer: Yes. No owner or occupant of abutting lands shall fail to keep the sidewalks, curbs or gutters in repair and free from snow, ice or any nuisance.

Question: Can I park my motor home, boat, or trailer on the street?
Answer: No. No trailer, boat, cargo, vehicles or a combination thereof exceeding twenty-two (22) feet in total length or eighty-four (84) inches in width or eighty-four (84) inches in height shall park on a public street or roadway for more than one (1) hour, except for the purpose of loading or unloading, for emergency repairs, or if it is temporarily a disabled vehicle, but in no event to exceed eight (8) hours.

Preview site